The new departure building of the enamel factory of Bonyhád
- Magyar Zománcáru és Fémáru Gyár (Hungarian Enamel-ware and Metal-ware Factory) was founded by Béla Perczel in 1909. In the first years dominos were produced too int he factory.
- The enamelled advertising boards boosted the factory. In 1911 all of the street number plates and strerr signs of Konstantinápoly were produced here, since 1913 they have been manufactured only enamel-wares.
- During the First World War the producing stagnated. They survive this period with manufacture of the sign ”heroic dead” and ”there is war” and military numbers.
- Producing of enamelled saucepan began in 1922.
- The factory was constituted defense plant, which made hand-grenades.
- In 1948 it was nationalized, and a development started.
- Manufacture of pots has been concentrated on Bonyhád since 1958.
- In 1999 there were 560 employees, but today they are only 230.
- It is the only active enamel factory in Hungary.
- Ferenc Lantos is a painter, who won Munkácsy- and Kossuth-award. Moreover he is a graphic artist, artist-teacher and the founder of Pécsi Műhely.
- He has a big role in that enamel-work became a new art in Hungary.
- He experimented with enamel in manufactory of Bonyhád in 1967.
- He organized symposiums every summer between 1968 and 1973, where he and his artist-collegaues created in the factory.
- The artworks, which were made here, are part of many exhibitions until today.
- They made buildingboards, which are found on many public facilities. Moreover, enamel-frieze of Lantos covered the elevation of the selected building in planning program.
As a man, who was born in Bonyhád, I heard a lot about the factory. Every people in this town know it, moreover it is well-known in Hungary because of their red saucepan. As an architectstudent I am more curious about it because of its enormous size. When I visited it, I see that now its use is not optimal. That is why I have choosed it for the topic of my thesis.
- configure optimal function of plant
- bring into the limelight the importance of the connection of industry and art with architectural elements
The country planning
There are buildings and flanks, which are empty or in which unnecessary things stand, because they use less place to manufacture. With optimization of functions the factory can work on smaller place, so I choosed partition of plant. The place for sale and the building, which stands on it, lay next to Industry Park of Bonyhád. And there is a plan to improve and broaden this Park, so this place for sale can be optimal for this plan. The capital-technology is found ont he remained part, so the partition of plant does not disturb the production. I accommodated the function from sold place ont he remained part. In this way the manufacture becomes easier too. But still buildings stay emptily and without functions, so I suggest to demolish them.
The selection of building
It is important to analyse which building is valueable, when you want to transform a plant. In this case that are important, which are part of production. In addition to it a building with its character and its connect to its environment can be value too. According to these aspects I determined the selected building as a value, because it has the strongest connect to its environment from all building of plant.
Now there are changing-rooms in 1/3 part of the selected building, the other parts are unused. Because of in the heated plants the changing-rooms have to be in the building of work, I suggest the diffusion of them. The selected building has 2 parts, One of them has white mortar and it is 2-stroyed with terrace. Changing-rooms take place in this part. Other half of the selected building is 1-stroyed with terrace. It used to be a doctor’s office, but today it has not any function.
The bigger flank was built with pillar-frame. On its 2 side there is small stiffener wall from bricks. The pillars and the walls stand on balk-ground, and all of the floors were closed with undercorded ferroconcrete ceiling . A neckpart with same structure links it to an other building of the manufacture. The smaller flank was made too with pillar-frame.
I designed the new departure building with transformation of this building. It serves the function of saled building and some new tasks: shop, office and a place to present the factory-history and the manufacture. Moreover, it is the departure building of the employees. Because of the new function need more open place, it was needed to open some parts of the building. I open the first floor of the connective neckpart to solve the walking of employees. The inner-part of the elevation of the building from stone has white mortar. I create with its opening a departure building for employees.
After knowing of factory and plant I choosed the metamorphosis like an architectural behavioural-form, which gives opportunity to transform, buti t demands due respect. The transformation was needed because of the new function. One building, which is used by employees, become a public facility, so it needs more attention. I conserved the structure, moreover I show it ont he elevation with big windows according to new functions. I did not change the material of elevation of stone-building and building with white mortar, except fot entrance, which lays int he connection of the 2 buildings. I use a new enamelled-facing ont he elevation of the extended neckpart. Ferenc Lantos’s artistic work inspired me, when I designed this new elevation.
Facing of the elevation
Ferenc Lantos made an experiment in his study to see a visual procedure through with the built process of nature. This procedure is founded ont he circle and square, as a natural opposition. He show sin his study the geometric possibilities of this formpair and many variations based on construction lines. I used this line, when I designed the new facing of the elevation.
The exhibiton was made with lineal guiding. The first part of it gives information about the factory-history. These informatons are on enamelled-tables, which are fixed with steel wire around the breaktrough of the roof. In the side towards the street there are shelves to show old products of the factory.
Then a scale-modell about plant and a flexiglass give possibility to know which process in which building is. After that visitors get in another exhibiton room, where I used boxes to show the noises of every process. These boxes are open from under , and inside there are loud-speakers and displays. Visitors can watch in them the process as an employee. The 4th labour process is welding. People are able to see it live through the plexiglass int he connection of buildings. Next to the balustrade a plexiboard stands which informs visitors on what happens there.
I made the inner signs from red, arched objects like the elevation. Bar in front of entrance, balusters which drives to exhibiton room, podiums in the exhibition room with boxes and the balustrade at plexiglass belong to these red signs, which give information and guide people in the building.
Int he shop there is only one piece from all goods, so it functions as a salon too. Every goods have a name. Between enamelled-wares bureaus stand. Goods are selected according to their assortment in these bureaus. Visitors can open them and take out wares. Behind wall there is a depot. Backfilling of these bureaus int he depot is a similar process to shopping int he shop. I used enamelled-frieze of Lantos, when I designed the flooring int he shop and in regularly used places of ground-floor.