Multicolored Tram Depot in Albertfalva
Despite its name, the BKV tram depot is not located in Budafok, but in Albertfalva. Its predecessor, the 4-track BHÉV train depot was built by the Hoffer and Sorg company in 1914, and it was the home of the vehicles of the suburban railway ("HÉV") until 1963.
With the procurement of the TW 6000 vehicles from Hanover in 2001 and the new COMBINO vehicles in 2006, the renaissance of tram transportation started in Budapest. The maintenance and storage of the procured trams in depots mostly built in the early 20th century was becoming more and more difficult.
Due to the distribution of the vehicles operating on the lines, the new CAF trams had to be accommodated in Buda, and for this, the Budafok Tram Depot had to be suitably renovated.
As the sheds are over a hundred years old, they were not large enough to house the CAFs, and a decision was made to build a new complex after long and careful consideration. The arrangement and design of the building symbolises the stationary trams next to each other with its "tram yellow", arched metal surfaces reaching out to Fehérvári Road.
The vividly coloured building not only lives up to the 21st century in its architectural design, but also in its interior design and technological facilities – a truly modern establishment of transportation architecture.