Láng House of Culture
1939 the then world famous machinery factory „Láng” established the “Láng House of Culture”. After having outgrown its premises the building has been extended in 1970. Around the time of the regime change the local government took over ownership. Meanwhile the factory closed and by 2000 its last remains have vanished. The House of Culture survived barely on life support desperately needing to be renovated. The main force preventing it from disappearing was its strong community.
2005 the local government initiated a full renovation and approached architectural studio Archikon with it. But then the economic crisis came and all works have been postponed up until 2015. Archikon faced itself with a revised programme and a much lower budget. The latter was however forged into an advantage, as the new concept was to retain as much as possible from the original building designed back then by György Tokár.
Parts of the building had to be rebuilt due to functional requirements. In order to unify the different parts as a cohesive whole and also fulfill the new energetic requirements, the building received a new skin with a terracotta outer surface. Laid out in different orientations and putting it sometimes “upside down” its texture appears as a warm, lively pattern. These low-tech solutions can also be found in the interior, like the wooden finish of the auditorium which was completely reused in a new, acoustically improved form. Finally the house was reopened in the autumn of 2018. The younger generation celebrated together with those who had already been present at another opening ceremony back in 1970.