architecture : urban : visual culture

Authentic restoration - the railway station in Kaposvár

The total restoration of the railway station in Kaposvár has been made based on the orginal plans of Ferenc Pfaff from 1900. The building had been becoming obsolate in the past few years, fortunately the archtitects, András Markó András and Tamás Németh, made a comprehensive plan, which stayed true to the building's origin. 

Refurbishment and restoration of the passanger building in the railway station of Kaposvár

The main building of the railway station in Kaposvár is the most beautiful among its type. It was built in 1900, according to the plans of Pfaff Ferenc, who was the chief architect of the Hungarian railway company (MÁV) at the time. It was declared a national monument in 2011. Being so well designed, it was made into a standard plan - with more or less modifications - on two other railway stations as well - in Szatmárnémeti [today Satu Mare - Romania], and in Versec [today Vršac - Republic of Serbia]. Fortunately these buildings are also still "alive" as railway buildings, so we could study them searching for details lost in Kaposvár. Particularly the building in Versec preserved many inside details, which provided a solid ground for the authentic restoration.

Despite some inner reconstructions, the almost 120 year-old building became obsolate. It couldn’t fulfill nor the passangers’ neither the staff’s needs. The technical status went from bad to worse permanently. This was the first time to have the opportunity for the refurbishment and restoration of the whole building.

During the restoration, the building got back its original outer shape. The platform roofing along the first track was rebuilt with transom-windows, according to the original plans. The brick surfaces and the ornaments of the elevations were conserved after cleaning, refilling, repairing, recovering wherever needed. The elevation doors and windows where renewed, the glazing were changed into isolated ones - wherever it was possible. The roof structures were fastened, the roof surfaces were cladded with new tiles. The slowly vanishing tin ornaments were also replaced.

Inside, the passanger areas almost totally got back their original shape and fancy appearance. Our main ambition was a complete but authentic restoration of the originally large-scale spaces. Where this method wasn’t possible to use, we chose a contemporary approach. The inner doors and windows, the wood panellings and the three room's decorative painting on the ceiling were reconstructed. Besides the passenger areas were equipped with new information screens and loudspeeker system.

We constructed the Government Office in the site of the former restaurant. The new ticket-office, rest rooms and the barrier free adjustment of the building also serve the convenience of the passangers. In addition, the staff got new, separated spaces according to their service. The obsolate mechanical and electrical systems were completely rebuilt. A particular unique moment was during the construction works the relocation of the 100 year-old Siemens-Halske signal box into the new station office.

The renewal of the narrow public space in front of the passanger building was also part of the project. A programmed building illumination system was installed onto the front elevation as well. The opening ceremony of the finished building was held on 09. March 2017.

András Markó. Tamás Németh


 

As the general contractor, the restoration works were made by the ZÁÉV Zrt., the technical supervising supplied by the engineers of the FŐBER Zrt.

The planning, the project preparation and managing works were made by the MÁV Zrt. itself. The complete design work and the technical management were made by the engineers of the MÁV Zrt. BLI – Műszaki Tervezés Főosztály under the leadership of András Markó and Tamás Németh architects.

 

 

login to comment »