A new beginning
The appearance of the Blessed Virgin in Fatima was first celebrated on May 13th in 1951 in Alsószentiván. This tiny village has been frequented by lots of pilgrims since then, the Catholic church being a shrine on the 13th of every month between May and October.
The renovation of the existing building and the shrine is a celebration of the 100th anniversary of Fatima. The open-air place for masses is made of timber, whilst the new altarpiece of the church was made from the plinth of a monument of the Soviet era. Szluha Castle, which also contains the parish, features an elegant portico, as well as a similarly stylish staircase from the garden and the renewed architectonic frame.
The castle itself has a representative entrance, the axis of which is lengthened towards the garden with a pavilion. Among the foliages of the chestnut trees, there is also a geometric belfry, made exclusively of wood. The place for masses has an open-air pavilion with a shingle roof designed after the sanctuary widespread after the 2nd Vatican Council. The rebirth of the pilgrims’ centre evolved to its entirety with the reconfiguration and revival of the garden and the mansion grounds.